www.PDHonline.com - Your Gateway to Lifelong Learning   |   Email: PDHonline@Gmail.com   
PDH Online Course Description PDH Units/
Learning Units (Hours)

Buy Now

View Course

View or Take Quiz


Landfill Gas-to-Energy Development

John Poullain, P.E.

This three-hour online course provides basics of landfill gas (LFG) collection, treatment and use in energy recovery systems. It describes procedures for modeling LFG generation as an important step in developing an energy project. Also covered are available technologies that can be used for converting LFG into a useful energy form and how to choose among the potential energy recovery systems. The regulatory requirements and summary of applicable regulations are discussed.

Approximately 250 tons of solid waste was generated in the US in 2008 with about 54% deposited in municipal solid waste (MSW) landfills. Landfills produce several types of gas and condensate during the bacterial decomposition and chemical reaction of municipal, industrial, and hazardous waste materials. Landfill gas contains about 50% methane and 50% carbon dioxide. It is classified as a medium BTU gas with heating value about half of NG. Methane has more than 20 times the heat trapping potential of carbon dioxide.

This course is intended for civil engineers, project engineers and planners, and State and local agencies. It includes a multiple-choice quiz at the end, which is designed to enhance the understanding of the course materials.

This course includes a multiple-choice quiz at the end, which is designed to enhance the understanding of the course materials.

View Course Content

NY PE & PLS: You must choose courses that are technical in nature or related to matters of laws and ethics contributing to the health and welfare of the public. NY Board does not accept courses related to office management, risk management, leadership, marketing, accounting, financial planning, real estate, and basic CAD. Specific course topics that are on the borderline and are not acceptable by the NY Board have been noted under the course description on our website.

AIA Members: You must take the courses listed under the category "AIA/CES Registered Courses" if you want us to report your Learning Units (LUs) to AIA/CES. If you take courses not registered with AIA/CES, you need to report the earned Learning Units (not qualified for HSW credits) using Self Report Form provided by AIA/CES.